The Asian Indigenous and Tribal Peoples Network (AITPN) is an alliance of indigenous and tribal peoples’ organisations and individual activists across the Asian region. It seeks to promote and protect the rights of indigenous and tribal peoples in Asia:
- by providing accurate and timely information to national human rights institutions, the United Nations and its specialised mechanisms, as appropriate;
- by conducting research, campaigning and lobbying on country situations or individual cases;
- by increasing the capacity of indigenous peoples through relevant training programmes for indigenous peoples’ rights activists and community leaders;
- by providing legal, political and practical advice to indigenous peoples organisations;
- by providing input into international standard-setting processes on the rights of indigenous peoples; and
- by securing the economic, social and cultural rights of indigenous peoples through rights-based approaches to development.
AITPN has Special Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
Share the story